Internet sites for more independent perspectives on the news: www.democracynow.org, truth-out.org, www.truthdig.com, www.thenation.com, ecowatch.com (for climate information). Also check out The Young Turks show on YouTube and the Thom Hartman program.
Richard D. Wolff, Ph.D., economics professor, author
- Succinctly explains the differences between socialism, Marxism, communism, and capitalism. He reviews the relevant history in his explanations – it’s clarifying, interesting and timely. He is a great speaker who makes the economy come to life with great examples. He has a weekly podcast available free through iTunes and also a monthly video Global Capitalism. Here are links for more info:
- Below are his 2 websites:
- Also, the Democracy at Work website has just started action groups to help people find local folks to connect with about actions to promote/save our democracy. Here’s the link: http://www.democracyatwork.info/groups
- Author of the book, Democracy at Work, A Cure for Capitalism
Moyers & Company for in-depth discussions on one topic of relevance to our democracy and our future
- Also see www.BillMoyers.com
- Excellent Marty Kaplan interview: www.billmoyers.com/segment/marty-kaplan-on-the-weapons-of-mass-distraction/
- Economic Inequality: www.billmoyers.com/spotlight/economic-inequality/
- 5 minute video on the ways inequality has been created: www.billmoyers.com/2013/07/10/inequality-is-created/
- www.populist.com; The Progressive Populist reports on issues of interest to workers, small-business owners and family farmers and ranchers. It serves as The People’s Voice in a Corporate World.
- Extensively researched; a must-read to know what is happening in our country!
- The global economic crisis of 2008 cost tens of millions of people their savings, their jobs, and their homes. This is how it happened.
- Focus is mostly politics, but he also writes about culture and society
- Important book to help people articulate the progressive values they stand for
- This book inspires us to get involved in our democracy, with humility and audacity!
- Her previous book, Waking the Global Heart, is also a great resource for an overview of the concepts in the global consciousness shift
- Author puts forth with clarity, brilliance, innovation, and passion a blueprint for sustainable societal transformation … to reignite the soul of any social movement.
- This book focuses on one of our era’s most pervasive human rights violation: the oppression of women and girls in the developing world.
- www.Avaaz.org; website for global activism; petitions for issues around the world
- www.moveon.org; activist organization, promoting progressive causes & democracy