Our Common Home, the Earth, is facing a crisis.
The basic situation with the climate is this:
- Enough solar energy reaches Earth every hour to meet the power needs of the entire world for a full year.
- A Stanford University study has shown the U.S. could convert to 100% renewable energy by 2050, with huge strides by 2030.
- ExxonMobil knew in 1946 that fossil fuels were warming the planet and deliberately lied to the country about it. Lawsuits are pending.
- Despite the Paris agreements we are currently on track for a temperature increase of 3-4 degrees C, which is an unlivable planet.
The basic economic injustice is this:
- It produces obscene extremes in wealth: the richest 1% now own more global wealth than the other 99%.
The basic political issue is this:
- Economic wealth = political power; thus the vast majority of people are controlled by the 1%.
The basic media issue is this:
- Over 90% of the media is owned by 6 corporations. Corporations, including car and fossil fuel industries, control ads and editorial content.
The basic situation in our country is this:
- Our elected leaders are incapable of solving our problems. Period.
- They are "owned" by corporations because corporate money buys votes.
- We no longer have a democracy.
The basic spiritual challenge is this:
- Can we recognize that we are One Humanity? That we sink or swim together?
The only way to change all this is to participate fully!
- To stand up, to speak out: join organizations whose values we share; and participate!
- Politicians don’t create political will. They respond to it.
- It’s up to us to create the life we want on planet Earth.
- No one is going to save us.
There is no one else.
A significant question to ask ourselves is this:
Are we willing to participate like our children & grandchildren’s lives depended on it?
"Democracy is one of the
deep spiritual challenges of our times".
See handouts below for ideas on how to respond to our climate crisis. See Upcoming Events for classes and workshops to help manage the turbulence of our times.
Handout: Mitigating & Adapting to Climate Change:What You Can Do April 2016
For inspiration: We Were Made For These Times by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Detailed Handout with links: Yoga & Climate Change. April 2016
Also, my friend and colleague, Michelle Johnson, is offering a unique and transformative teacher training program:
The only such Yoga TT in the country. Begins September 2016.